Here are some good practices that I find useful to bring into daily life, as they have helped me stay engaged with the world and try to make it better while also feel at peace (even with strong or unpleasant emotions or feelings) in the core of my being, most of the time... :)

Friday, September 6, 2019

Yoga means balance...

Yoga means union or joining - of our mind, body and soul (or spirit). This means to raise the awareness of our body and connect with it. One way is to sit quietly and observe your breath. Is your breath shallow and fast or slow and relaxed? When we control our breath (also known as life force - prana) we control our mind and our body.

When we are agitated or stressed, we don't breathe well or may even hold our breath. When we take deep breaths mindfully, we slow down our heart rate and blood pressure. Our body relax and more oxygen reaches our brain. We think clearer. One of the episodes to the hospital with my granny proved this. When the nurse was taking her BP, she was very tensed - hands gripped, shoulders raised, her breathing was very shallow and fast, almost to the point of holding her breath. Her BP was 190! The nurse was shocked and said she had hypertension. I told her to take again and we asked granny to take deep breaths. She did and as she breathed deeply, her body relaxed and she smiled. Then her BP dropped to normal range.
This is why I always start my lessons with pranayama ( breathing exercise). In Ashtanga yoga, ujjayi breath is key. When you breathe into every pose, you focus on your body and your awareness becomes heightened. It is not about perfecting a pose but about finding the right balance between tension (working and/ or stretching of muscles and joints) and relaxation that your body needs at this moment. Every time you practise a pose, it will be different, depending on your body that day. Every pose is active and not passive. This is yoga. 

Come and experience a class for yourself. Contact me at 90043925 to book a slot 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tapping into the Wisdom of our body through Yoga, Somatic Movement Education and Embodiment

My Journey Yoga has provided respite for me and healed my back injury. In 2009, I was diagnosed with disc degenerative disease. In 2015, aft...