Here are some good practices that I find useful to bring into daily life, as they have helped me stay engaged with the world and try to make it better while also feel at peace (even with strong or unpleasant emotions or feelings) in the core of my being, most of the time... :)

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Ujjayi Breath

Ojjayi breath is an integral part of Ashtanga yoga and I can't emphasize it enough during my classes.

It is a form of deep breathing with various benefits, including the following:
- Warm the breath so that our body readily absorbs the oxygen inhaled, and hence increase the oxygen in the blood
- Build up our stamina by lengthening our breath and creating the rhythm for our sun salutation
- Deepen our asanas
- Detoxify our body

The first time I was taught, my teacher told me that it is also called the ocean breath as it sounded like the waves crashing on the beach. I always like to joke with my students that it sounds like Darth Vader (from Stars War). During my 200-hour yoga teacher training, I often feel giddy during sun salutation at the initial stage. With the practice of Ojjayi breath, I was able to regulate my breath and feel less of the giddiness. I've also used Ojjayi breath whenever I feel cold and it would warm up my palms.

The article below summarises the benefits and way to master the Ojjayi breath, for your reading pleasure:

http://www.chopra.com/articles/learn-the-ujjayi-breath-an-ancient-yogic-breathing-technique


Click here for a video on how to do Ujjayi Breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tapping into the Wisdom of our body through Yoga, Somatic Movement Education and Embodiment

My Journey Yoga has provided respite for me and healed my back injury. In 2009, I was diagnosed with disc degenerative disease. In 2015, aft...