Here are some good practices that I find useful to bring into daily life, as they have helped me stay engaged with the world and try to make it better while also feel at peace (even with strong or unpleasant emotions or feelings) in the core of my being, most of the time... :)

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Benefits of salt lamp

A student asked me about the salt lamp that I place in the room where I conduct yoga lessons. Salt lamp is said to purify air through the negative ion effect. Salt itself does not generate the negative ion but it is hygroscopic, which means that it absorbs moisture from the air. Having a heat/ energy source (the light bulb) causes evaporation and that generates negative ion which sticks to dirt, dust, and other airborne substances, causing them to fall onto the ground rather than be inhaled. Since Ojjayi breath (see previous post) is a powerful form of deep inhalation, it is essential to keep the surrounding air fresh for our intake during the lesson. 

See article in the link below for more info on salt lamps. 
http://www.natural-salt-lamps.com/howdosaltlampswork.html

Click here for a video on Ujjayi breath.

Click here for a short write up of Ujjayi breath.

Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tapping into the Wisdom of our body through Yoga, Somatic Movement Education and Embodiment

My Journey Yoga has provided respite for me and healed my back injury. In 2009, I was diagnosed with disc degenerative disease. In 2015, aft...